Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sick Kids

OK, I have A LOT to catch up on but I am going to start with most recent events for this post. We were in San Diego last week and had a great time but Brady came home sick. I could see a tooth starting to break through on the top so that was enough to explain his runny nose. A few days later he got a nasty cough, I mean NASTY. Poor boy was coughing so hard I was sure his insides were being disrupted. Oh, and since the evolution of his cough, he's had a fever to accompany it. On Monday he slept and slept and slept, I thought, "great I have a chance to get lots done!" Well I felt a little bad when he woke up with a fever of 103.9!!! I have to take him to the Dr. and of course we just switched insurance and our old Dr. doesn't take the new stuff. So I called Cam's cousin, she works for a pediatrician who does take our insurance, and pulled some strings for a same day appointment (any mom knows if you are a first time patient they will not see you the same day you called!). We had an appointment for 5:40, yep folks, they saw us after hours! The Dr. said due to his nasty cough he had a terribly sore throat which was bright red and raw ("oh" frown)...left ear has a bad ear infection (eyebrows up, frown)...right ear is almost a full blown ear infection (mouth open, frown, tear). Poor little guy. We got him some amoxicillin to get rid of the ear infections and the Dr. said if he still had a fever by Wednesday to bring him in for blood work.
Well Monday night the house was quiet and I woke up at 3 am to Andie laying in bed with me crying that her ear hurts. Half asleep I managed to get out, "Oh sh**!" So I get up, take her temperature 101.9 (great!), pump her full of meds so I can get back to sleep, and get her some milk to help with the sore throat. She sleeps the rest of the night and wakes up happy as a clam but still with a fever. I ask about her ear "mine ear all better mom, thank you for mymy medicine!" Good, dodged that bullet. Well as the day progresses she gets more and more cranky and starts tugging on her ear again. Tuesday night was a repeat of Monday night. Here is Wednesday, Brady woke up happier than he has been for almost a week but still pretty sickly. They both feel warm so I take their temps. Yep, Brady still has a fever, Andie has a fever and is complaining that her ear hurts. Perfect! I call the Dr. to make both appointments (again I had to pull some strings for Andie to be seen the same day since she is a new patient.) the only available times they have are 2:50 and 3:20, "great I'll take those!" I get off the phone. "Oh sh**!" Cameron has a job interview at 2:30 and then has to go to an appointment at 4:00, we only have one car cause it's all we have needed while Cameron was working on the boat. Oh well, we will be very early to the Dr's this afternoon!

No comments: