Thursday, August 12, 2010

I Wanna Be a Food Blogger Too!

I love to cook. I love to think that I am good at cooking, and my husband and family are nice enough to agree. I get great joy in researching and recreating some of my restaurant favorites. On more than one occasion, I have done better than the famous dish. I could watch the Food Network all day long if I didn't have other responsibilities like, taking care of kids, cleaning, making meals, and being a devoted wife. When we lived in Utah I was able to cook A LOT. We made (almost)every single meal from scratch. I am not a huge fan of premade food and I try very hard to avoid it, in fact, on lazy days I often kick myself for not having a frozen dinner that I can just throw in the oven. When I was cooking all the time I got good at it, really good. We would have friends come over several times a week to share meals with us, because seriously, who can cook for just 2 people? They loved the food too.
If I am being honest my fist love is baking, but in the last year or two, cooking has become almost as fun. Since moving to San Diego I haven't been cooking nearly as much as I would like. You know as well as I do that cooking meals from scratch gets pretty pricey pretty quick. I love when I am watching someone chef on tv and they say something along the lines of, "a home cooked meal doesn't have to cost a fortune," I want to smack them. Unless the meal is made up of the bare essentials, it is going to cost a good $20-$40 and that times 7 is between $140-$280 a week, just for dinner! If you are anything like me, your bare essentials includes but isn't limited to, some meat or chicken in the freezer, several boxes of almost gone cereal, 20 gallons of milk in the fridge, an onion that I never got to, 15 cans of assorted foods/veggies, 10 pounds of flour and sugar, 3 bags of white rice, pasta, a few sauces, vanilla, dried basil, seasoning salt, pepper, soy sauce, 1 too many bottles of ketchup, 13 packages of hotdogs, some bread in the freezer, shredded cheese, and a half dozen eggs. I am sure you are looking at my list going, "what the?!?" I have kids, cereal is the meal of choice hot dogs are a close runner up and milk/crystal light is all they drink. I don't think that I actually know how to shop and keep my kitchen stocked with essentials. One day I will master this too.
As of late, I have become totally enthralled with food blogs. Oh my gosh, these self taught, stay at home Mommy and Daddy chefs are amazing. Where do they find the time, energy and money to make these elaborate dinners? Not only that, the chefs and their families are always rail thin! The dishes that some of these people come up with are ridiculously imaginative but what is even more impressive to me are their pictures of their dishes! Are these people closet professional photographers too? I mean, really! I try, I want to be creative, where is my gene? I guess the people who are born chefs are also born food photographers.
The day I figure out how to photograph my food creations is the day I will start a food blog. Not necessarily of recipes I have come up with, but recipes I researched, tried and succeeded with.

1 comment:

Auntie Em said...

Here is my FAVORITE food blog that I follow... Check it out... Her recipes are yummy and low-cal too :)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/