Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Biting Babies

Seriously, what causes a child to bite? Just in the last few days, BOTH of my children have began biting each other. It stated with Brady biting Andie, and then this morning she bit him. It is so upsetting to see one cry because their "best buddie" gave them a temporary mold of their chompers!
Brady was mad the other day at Andie because she wouldn't give him his toy, so he ran over to her and bit the crap out of her foot, she screamed of course, and I disciplined Brady (which doesn't ever have to happen). I then asked Andie to hold still at which point I was able to actually count how many teeth Brady has (that child wont hold still for anything)!
This morning I was working on the computer while the kids played and Brady let out the "I'm hurt" cry and Andie stood there saying, "he's ok, your ok buddy, he's ok, he's ok, he's ok." Brady was grabbing his shoulder trying to rub the spot and I asked her, "did you bite him or pinch him?" She bit him and got the same punishment as Brady did two days earlier.
So my question to you is, have you had to deal with this problem? Have you ever had two biters at once? What did you do to get rid of the problem? Brady does it because he can't communicate his frustration in words and Andie does it because she knows it hurts.
How does one teach their children that biting is not ok in terms a 1 year old will understand?

1 comment:

Lively's said...

Good luck with that. And let me know how it goes. You can always do what dad did to me and just bite the crap out of me. Seemed to work! Though I still do bite Lance every once in awhile! But he always deserves it!