Tuesday, July 21, 2009

That's What I Get!

I've been re motivated to exercise and have decided to start running, funny right! I have attempted this ridiculous feat several times since moving to Utah but it always ends up in shin splints and a chest that feels like it will explode if I take in one more struggled breath. So for my birthday, oh yeah, I turned 24 on the 11th, Cameron bought me some new running shoes (thank you thoughtful husband) and I decided to reattempt the running! I got a running program from my mom and thought about it for a few days, to stall, I mean mentally prepare and finally took the leap on Sunday night. I decided in the morning that in the evening I would go because it would be cooler than 100 degrees out. I even told Cameron to remind me that I was to go running tonight because I didn't trust myself to remember on my own. It was 8:30 at night, still light out but only about 80 degrees, I got dressed, grabbed my ipod, and told Cameron I would be back in 30 mins (don't want to get too ahead of ourselves here). I did a few stretches on the front porch cranked up the ipod and began my run. It was going great, the weather was perfect I was really enjoying myself and thought for the first time in almost a year, "this isn't that bad, I actually might be able to do this running thing!" With the program, which works you up to a long run, you walk for the first 5 mins, then run 60 secs and walk 90 secs on and off 8 times. I was doing great, getting parched, but feeling like I could finish. I was on the 4th interval when I realized I was running/hoping trying to itch my shoulder, then my ankle and my thigh, then my arm, oh the cheek. Ahhh, just thinking about it makes me itch all over again! What the heck?!? I was getting eaten alive by mosquitos! I HATE mosquitos! I kept on running, but the more sweaty I got the more I was feasted upon. I had to stop, but I couldn't possibly quit now, I was so close I could taste it. I sat down for a minute just to itch and try to convince myself that I could go on. I got up and attempted another drill of walk/run and 30 seconds into the run my legs were on on FIRE! I had concentrated so much on the nasty creatures feasting on my sweet sweaty flesh, that I forgot to convince myself that this was indeed as easy as it sounds. What was I doing?! If the bugs didn't kill me the running surly would. Finally I was done, I walked home and realized
THIS IS WHAT I GET FOR RUNNING!
Now it has been two days, I am supposed to go again and I am thinking, do I dare chance the pesky insects having another Thanksgiving feast on my sweet flesh?
......to be continued

No comments: